Rix New "Old" Build

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Rix New "Old" Build

Post by jmail » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:55 am

(You'll have to read the previous page... too much for me to quote to... :lol: - yeah, so I'm lazy)

Win10 will be in a perpetual state of update, until someone comes up with a better marketing ploy... lol

It would be nice TR, if they would actually at least ~try~ to get things to fit in a gig of ram, but look at the system requirements on some of the "modern" stuff... I can see an NLE or photo editor going big, but why some of the others?.. Just because I have the hardware, doesn't mean there isn't something else trying to use it at the same time... Open yourself a half-dozen web pages, with one of them being a pdf, and see what it does to your cpu useage & swap file...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:23 pm

OK, I have officially. Given up on trying to get a 1066 buss cpu going on the mini- beast. It runs fine there with one gig of ram, but put that 2nd stick in, and it goes flaky. I tried all sorts of BIOS settings for the whole shmear, from cpu to ram to hard drives to USB settings, and I would gett rewarded with just enough "success" to keep me trying. The computer ran excellently for a 15 minute period of time with both sticks of ram, that I thought I had it, but ~no~… that'd be too easy. BSOD was the order of the day, each one with a slightly different error code and message. I finally decided that it just *had* to be the power supply, so I bought a new one, at 550w continous, not average - continous... Over a hundred watts (supposedly) than it needs. I got thirty minutes out of it, and actually got through some burn-in tests. As an aside: the ATI AIW 9600XT, while an excellent capture card, only scores 3.9 on the Windows Score... that ain't very good. This 30 minute run really had me going, thinking that there was just a little something left that was off... so I wasted another two days. Well, no more. I took the E7300 out, and put the E4400 back in this morning. So I'm out $10.14 US (eBay) for the experiment (and several days of my life). I am back to the E4400 with the 'fully populated' amount of 2 (yes, 2) gig of PC3200 CL2.5 RAM, and running overclocked @266ghz... yes, the same speed as an E7300... No hiccups, no worries, and we're below 50 degrees C, just 2 degrees higher than the E7300, but with a better performance score, since I've got 2 gig of ram, versus the stable one gig of the E7300.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

Post by TwoRox » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:00 am

Yeah, Win 10 "Anniversary Update" aka "Redstone" is out now, as of early August. It's being rolled out automatically in waves (= not everybody gets it at the same time) via Windows Update, or you can download the ISO image yourself.

Frankly, I've had quite enough of Win 10 during my short test run on my TrustyOleDAW over the past couple of weeks... lots of odd and/or annoying behavior and a bunch of things that simply did/do not work that worked just fine under Win7.

So yesterday I tried Win 10's built-in rollback feature to get my Win 7 back, and that didn't work, either. Figures. :?

So I did a "hard wipe" on the SSD by simply running the Windows XP Home SP2 installation routine. No kidding. I'm putting a lean, mean XP Home / Win 7-64 Pro dual boot back on that SSD, and I'm probably never gonna touch WindX again. I might snatch up a licencse of Windows 8.1 on the cheap, though, because that's basically the same rock-solid Win 7 core, but with longer support from Machosoft than Win 7 is getting, and they are no longer "putzing around" with the OS, except for "security" updates, which means they are not gonna "break" things with an update that were working before = stability! :D

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:10 am

jmail wrote:It would be nice TR, if they would actually at least ~try~ to get things to fit in a gig of ram, but look at the system requirements on some of the "modern" stuff... I can see an NLE or photo editor going big, but why some of the others?
You're preaching to the choir, Master JMailius. Sometimes I wanna storm into Machosoft's headquarters and yell:

"Bill Gates said that nobody would ever need more than 640 kilobytes of RAM!!!" :lol:

Just because I have the hardware, doesn't mean there isn't something else trying to use it at the same time... Open yourself a half-dozen web pages, with one of them being a pdf, and see what it does to your cpu useage & swap file...
Even my current DAW with a fairly recent i5 quad core CPU, a 250 gig SSD, and 32 gigs of RAM is choking on just a dozen or two browser tabs, sending the CPU usage up to 100% in infrequent spikes and freezing the wohl system! Nuts.

I think I'm going back to my Sinclair ZX81... ;)

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:29 am

jmail wrote:OK, I have officially. Given up on trying to get a 1066 buss cpu going on the mini- beast.
You know, Rick, sometimes it really seems like an exercise in self-punishment trying to "squeeze out that last bit of performance" from olden hardware we have lying around. Sometimes, enough is just enough, as much as I'd like to re-use, and re-re-use old, yet still functional hardware I have lying around.

I put a 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive back in my TrustyOleDaw (because the MOBO still has a floppy controller/connector), and that seems to be working just fine (besides: I can disable that thingie in the BIOS so it doesn't get in the way when not needed), meaning I can read good ole floppy disks in case the need ever arises.

I also put a Benq CD burner (NOT DVD burner, CD burner) in so I can slow-burn the occasional audio CD with minimal jitter. Noice!

Then I put a DVD burner back in, but I haven't tested burn results with it, yet, cuz I was busy frustrating myself with Win 10 on the machine. :?

Now that Windows XP Home and Win 7-64 Pro are back on in peaceful dual-boot co-existence, I'm done with experimenting on that machine -- except for putting in a hot-swap SATA drive bay for good ole 3.5" SATA HDs (the external USB 3 dock I currently have is a pain in some unspecified body region).

Oh... and replacing the trusty ole Nvidia 8600GT with a fanless el-cheapo Nvidia card to create a completely silent machine.

But that's it on that machine. No more changes, no more trying to squeeze the last bit of "can-do" out of that machine.

May it be as solid as a rock (or even two rocks), now and forever...

For further self-punishment I have inherited a former HP server machina with REALLY old hardware... well, still recent enough to run Win 7 on it. Maybe I'll hook up a tape drive, or an Iomega Zip monster to that one, or put in a 5.25" 360kB floppy drive... nah... I think my masochistic days are behind me... :lol:

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 am

I just found my original "PC" that replaced the Commodore 64. Ah yesh, I remember it well... 486DX2-66 MHz - That's almost 65 times faster than the Commodore! AND - it could ~milti-task~! Well, not really... but they said it could! Came with DR-DOS 6.01, which got a *free* upgrade to 6.22! Wow! And Windows 3.1! That original beast had EIGHT *MEG* of ram! Fully populating all 8 slots. The ISA buss ran at a blistering 33 MHz. Had a 160MB hard drive, a 1.44 3 1/2 inch floppy drive AND a 5 1/4 inch floppy! Along with the 4x4x2 CD-R/RW drive, the macine could handle any kind of media thrown at it - well, except tape, so I went out and bought me a travan tape drive... good times, yeah... good times...

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

2Rix First Build

Post by TwoRox » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:49 am

That's some pretty modern stuff you got there as your first PC, Master JMailius!

On the job, the very 1st PC I ever encountered was an IBM-XT compatible machine (from "Copam"... goodness! I still remember the brand name of that knock-off... that curcuma must be working! :lol: ) with an 8088 CPU, running at very few mega-hertzens, I think mayhaps 6, and RAM was indeed limited to 640 KILObytes. 3.5" floppy drives were on the horizon, CD burners still wayz off, and I backed up all the programming work I did (in "Turbo Pascal 1.x"!!!) on 360kB 5.25" floppy disks once a week. Oh yeah... that baby ran on MS-DOS 3.something (good stable DOS version).

Some 18 months later, I built my first own machine with a -- gasp!! -- 286 CPU (still not running a great many mega-hertzens), a whopping 1 megabyte RAM ("high memory"), again a 5.25" floppy drive, some (chronically unstable) 4.x DOS version, and a 10 MEGAbyte hard drive. That thing cost a fortune to build, but I was so proud of having built it myself, owning it, and enjoyed tinkering with it a LOT... 8)

And that hasn't changed a whole lot til this very day... still tinkering, albeit with CPUs that have a thousand pins more and run a thousand times faster, combined with terabyte harddrives, and so forth...

The thing is: I still (kinda, sorta) KNOW what's going on inside that machine, even "inside the OS" (at least up until Win 7) -- things have, of course, gotten a whole lot more complex, but the basic principles are still the same. Therefore, I feel comfortable, "putzing around" with that stuff.

On the other hand, there's this "new-fangled" Android stuff, and I feel totally not at home in that world. In the Android world, I'm currently just a "dumb user". Rooting a smartphone? Not my cup of Java...

But maybe I'll change my mind over time... now that my Windows road has come to an end with Win 7, I feel it's time to "explore strange new worlds, to seek out new OSs, and new CPUses, to boldly go where..." many geeks have gone before... :lol: :lol: :lol:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Post by TwoRox » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:59 am

OFF TOPIC, but important:

RED ALERT! ALL HANDS TO FORUM MAINTENANCE STATIONS!!!

There's something wrong with the forum setup. I CAN get in following a notification e-mail link to a specific post like this one, but when I try to load the main forum page (or some sub-category), I most often get a "too many redirects" error message in my browser after while.

To rule out that it's just the Chrome browser on my end, I also installed a fresh Firefox... same results: the site is stuck in an endless redirect loop. No idea what the cause might be, but I'm sure that it's hurting traffic big time and might even prevent new users from signing up.

Might wanna look into that pronto... maybe it has to do with the new option to log in with Facebook et cetera...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Post by jmail » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:30 pm

It looks like it's got to do with coming in any way besides typing the site's name (or a "favorite's link)... I can type www dot production forums dot com and "land" here just fine, but links from other pages don't work reliably... like you say, "too many re-directs", and I think the "security" (on my computer?? or the site's?? the "referrer's"??) is doing it... I do not know enough about that stuff to "fix", much less diagnose... PM to jc

btw, that C64 served me rather well. Lots of folks were surprised at what I could do on it. It just took a while is all. It was easier to work with than your 8088, and I had a hard drive AND a SSD (well, OK, they didn't call it that back then... :lol:) attached via the serial port and the user port respectively. I think the hard drive was like a whopping 10MB!!! The solid state device, had to remain plugged into the wall AND had a 4xAAA battery backup, else, it'd lose it's "memory", which is what it was, RAM in a box... I eventually expanded it to 8MB!!! Wow! It made the C64 "instant on", just so long as the power hadn't gone off... :lol:

I could not justify the $10k US (at the time) for a comparably equipped 8088 machine (hard drives were not "standard equipment" back then). My wife's cousin's husband (?? two possessives??) paid like $5200 US for what I considered a bare-bones 80286 with DOS 4.5 & Windows something or other... 2.0?? Talk about a dinosaur! My C64 could do things faster than it, even though the 286 was quite a bit faster on the clock. I forget what I paid total for the C64, but like 200 for the computer, 100 for the 5 1/2 inch floppy, 180 for the 3 1/2 inch floppy, got a 2nd 5 1/2 incher "on sale" for 50 (close-out, as the Amiga was coming in), got the hard drive for like $100 as the neighbor was "upgrading" his Packard Bell (remember them??) 80286 set-up, and I got the solid state thingie for like 250 US, just as that company was getting out of the business of making stuff for the C64. So the majority of what I did with it was done with floppy drives, back in the mid to late 80's... I only ended up with the 486 when my employer did an 18 months same-as-cash loan program as an employee incentive, else I wouldn't have been able to afford that beast. It was top-of-the-line at the time, fully loaded, other than I had a 160mb drive, when the 250mb size had just come out, but... they were *expensive* back then! I mean, like several hundred dollars just for the 160mb size. Seems to me that the 250 drive was like over $500US... Wow! My, what a modern age we live in... Now, if I could only remember, was it Maynard G. Krebs that said that, or Dobie Gillis?... I'm thinking Dobie... Can't find a thing about the saying online, which seems a bit odd... they've got all these other "famous sayings" from the Dobie Gillis show, yet not that one...

jc
Site Admin

Post by jc » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:24 am

I'm not sure what you guys are really talking about ( i got yout pm too jmail). .. Can I see one of the links you are talking about or part of the emails that you are linking from?
Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.