Rix New "Old" Build

Join in or start a discussion on anything about computers, electronics, mobile phones, smartphones, tablets, laptops or devices. Talk about hardware, apps, software and related subjects including “what is the best video card to use on your system/budget?” Share info about motherboards, networking, hardware and PC building. Share ideas on choosing the best components like CPU, ram, PSU, motherboard and software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Rix New "Old" Build

Postby jmail » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 am

whoops! missed the deadline... :lol: and I don't care. We've got 10 on the oldest boy's laptop, and on the wife's laptop, which is currently down for the count. I've got to get a new LCD, which I can actually purchase one on eBay for less than $90US, which ain't bad, and then I've got to get hinges for said screen. I haven't a ~clue~ as to what happened with the ones on the computer. I've *never* had hinges go bad before, other than maybe get loose, but this one especially won't hardly move, so I've gotta replace them. Bad thing is, several of the mounting holes, with the little brass threaded "keeps" have broken free of their moorings... I'm not sure there's a way to fix those, so I'm looking for 1/2 of the case online and have not succeeded yet... Going by a go-back page though, the dad-blame things back in the day (two years ago) were $230, which, I ain't payin' that much for the plastic... Didn't even have the brass inserts in it...

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius
Skype Handle: david.sundancer

2Rox New "Old" Build

Postby TwoRox » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:38 am

jmail wrote:I'm really starting to not like this build for ~anything~ "modern"... I've got it connected to the wire for now, using Windows 7 64-bit, just so I have some "security" protection. If they'd just keep up with a plain web browser that could still run on XP, I'd be really happy to dump Win7 on that machine... In fact, I'm tempted to go back to trying to get Win98 loaded on it... :lol:

:lol: I hear ya, brudda!

Cuz of dat free Windoze X expiring at the end of, well, two daze ago... :lol: ... I put a blank, never used 250 gig SSD in my TrustyOleDAW aka DAW Animal to speed things up & silence the Animal for peace & quiet in the living room recording studio.

Installed Win7-64 Pro from a USB stickie - pronto done-o! 8)

Nothing missing in device manager - neato! :D

Registered Win7, then installed Win10 over it (to snatch up that one free copy of WindX -- for experimental purposes only). The installation itself went without a hitch... well... almost.

In Win7 the nVidia 8600GT graphics card had been recognized properly, everything set to 1920 x 1200 pixels and 32-bit color depth automagically, as it should be. WindX, OTOH, insisted on not knowing the nVidia card and reset the display rez to 800x600 pixels (whaaa...?) and 0.3 bit color depth, or something... :?

Only took me two hours over my (on that day very slow) internet connection to grab the latest, monstrous nVidia driver package and install it manually. After that, all the basic stuff looks okay. As my WindX (Pro!) copy is registered on the Machosoft servers now, I am rolling things back to Win 7 to be a happy DAW camper henceforth and until the end of forever... ;)

See, the "cool" thing is: the sneaky NSA front aka Machosoft does identify the computer hardware and makes -- sort of -- a "machine fingerprint" that Spies'R'Us stores on their servers, so that even when you have a total HD crash and no backupses you can go ahead and install WindX on a blank HD or SSD, you got your legal, free WindX copy back and properly activated/registered as soon as the spyMachosoft servers are being contacted. Kinda cool, in a scary kinda way... :shock:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

2Rox New "Old" Build

Postby TwoRox » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:46 am

However, as soon as I try to do anything beyond reading email on the web, it starts to falter. It does NOT like having all those processes running in Win7, especially after you've opened a couple of pages with Acrobat pdf files, or viewed an MS Word document,etc., because all of those programs start using more threads, and keep them open, that the poor thing, at 2 gig of RAM (which just a few years ago was a LOT), why, it just runs out of gas, and slows to a crawl. Next thing you know, I've got a Windows pop-up "Your computer is low on memory. Please close some applications so that you do not lose any data. Windows will start automatically closing apps..." Say whuh? All I've got open is a couple instances of My Computer, and about 4 tabs on the web browser... how am I "out of memory", and what happened to the swap file, huh?...

Anyway, you sit at a modern computer (which it ain't), and you expect it to do what the quad-core can do... :lol:

Similar sitch here... the big "RAM gobbler" is most likely the web browser. I also got the "full 2 gigs" of RAM in my TrustyOleDAW (that's the MOBO limit with 4 stickses!) and have been hitting the same "brick wall" when I had just a few browser tabs open... back in the days when it was still my main desktop computer with a dual-windoze installation -- one barebones for DAWing, one with the full enchilada for office work, web browsing, e-mail, fakeboobs and whatnot...

The only "solution" to the memory problem would've been going back to a text-only web browser like Lynx... :? :lol:

I've read, though, that the anniversary upgrade of WindX is supposed to curb the memory hunger of that edgy web browser. I'll test that in, oh, maybe 5 years... :lol:

For now, it's back to Win7-64 Pro on DAW A(nimal), with a fanless graphics card upgrade for almost total silence (only one active fan left in the PSU, and that one's super-quiet)... 8)

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

2Rox New "Old" Build

Postby TwoRox » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:55 am

By the by...

Now that the SSD is in DAW A(nimal), I'm actually quite impressed how well the whole hardware is still holding up for "plain" recording purposes. It's got the 1212m PCI (no e) card in there to hook up the 1616m microdock, so in case my current main DAW -- DAW B(east) -- should ever be out of comission for a while, I can still record at least 4 audio tracks simultaneously at 24-bit resolution / 96kHz (I only gots 4 preamps) on that TrustyOleDaw.

Not bad for a dual-core CPU and hardware that's almost 10 years old (except for the SSD)... 8)

I'm also "upgrading" ("backgrading"?) it with a CD-Burner and a 1.44MB / 3.5" floppy drive for backwater... err... backwards compatibility, in case there's some stuff on olden floppy disks that needs to be accessed, and a CD-only burner is much faster at reading CD(R)s than a DVD combo drive (which I also have in DAW A).

The only thing I refuse to hook up to my TrustyOleDaw is that devil's stuff like Iomega tape drives, Zip drives, and such... those still give me nightmares from back in the daze when them's was "professional" backup media... :shock:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

2Rox New "Old" Build

Postby TwoRox » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:01 am

Okay, now that I've successfully 'jacked this thread (see how the subject has quietly "morphed" into "2Rox New "Old" Build"?) I might as well go all the way... nah... I'll start a new thread re. my new new build... after I've had another coffee (or caffeine IV, whatever is available)... :D

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=13989

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Postby jmail » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 am

Ahhh yesh... computer building... been doing it for what?? twenty-five (!!!??!!!??!!!) years... I'm glad we don't still have DOS, but if it was like it was headed, with 'flat' addressing, built-in networking, and an 'add-on' GUI, I think folks would have better choices today. Me-thinks someone thunk themselves up a marketing scheme with that Win95 into Win98 stuff, which effectively killed DRDOS and all other contenders, consolidating their market share, built on the Win31 ploy of basically 'kickbacks'. Take the loss now on the 'free' OS, I mean, after all, we're making a ~killing~ on this new 'office' stuff, and we'll have the OS market too!..

I sometimes miss the heady days of Cyrix 333mhz processors, on a mobo the size of Rhode Island, eating as much juice as NYC, actually raising the room temperature, all to use a 56k modem, over a fone line, in order to use that new-fangled networking thing that Al Gore built, or maybe a bbs to play 'The Hunt for Red October', just to see if you could stess all one megabytes of 'high-speed' ram you'd spent your month's wages on... and let's not forget about that overly-capacious 30 megabyte hard drive...

I'm suspicious of motives involving claims of "smaller footprint, more efficient". I just wonder, for what? My computer, or your server doing all the dealings? If you pull up a software monitor, and look at how much network and hard drive activity there is now on your computer, even Win7 (if you're updated), it's scary. What is my computer doing going over the wire so much? -ZAP-!!! Oh yeah, right... [I must obey] it's optimizing itself and doing security updates, to keep me safe from the scary world... :wink:

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Postby TwoRox » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Wouldn't it be nice... (cue them Beach Boyz!) ...if software programming -- programs, as well as OSs -- was still as efficient as in the "olden daze" when resources were mighty scarce (and expensive!)?

I imagine an operating system that's rock-solid (because the kinks have been worked out over many, many generations), highly modular (so you don't have to take 10 tons of "garbage" with the 10 pounds of useful stuff you actually want and need), and completely open (so everybody can contribute / help make things even more stable)... sweet dreams...

I wish Linux had taken that route, but if you install a recent Linux distro you get something as bloated as the latest OS from Machosoft... :(

Sure, you can compile your own Linux with everything you want and very little you don't, but you have to be an Über-Geek to do it... :?

I've reached a point where I'm going down two different roads concurrently:

On one hand, I'm using "modern" devices (smartphones/tablets) with "modern" OSs (Android / WindX) for facebooking, twittering, youtubing, giggle-dee-googling, picture snapping, and even the occasional real-life yapping on du fone... without any attempts to tweak / modify anything beyond some basic, prudent safety precautions.

On the other hand, I keep researching long and hard which components are best suited for a special purpose machine (DAW, NLE, Color Grading, 3D Rendering...) while still (kinda) affordable...

And until somebody has convinced me, really convinced me, that a newer OS (such as a future incarnation of Windoze, or Android, or Linux, or some "Open OS X") is really better than Windows 7-64 Pro, I'm gonna stick with that OS, tweaking the hell out of it to optimize it for whatever it's being used for... which also means: no internet connection, and hence no need for virus scanners, firewalls, and all that other "necessary bloat" you have to have on an all-purpose machine...

Now I'm feeling depressed... I need some chocolate now... and lots of bananas... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:13 pm

I updraded my old pc as well back a few months ago from w8.1. not sure why, it's now sitting in the basement lol.

My new PC build was also easy to upgrade (from nothing :lol: ) and my tablet aleady came with w10 32 bit. I did consider trying to updrade that to 64 bit pro but after researching there was no benefit for a tablet with small ram.

Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

TwoRox
Forum Genius
Forum Genius

Postby TwoRox » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:22 am

Yeah, jc, 64-bit OS only makes sense when you got (and need) more than 3.25 gigs of RAM.

I DO have Win7-64 Pro installed on my trusty ole DAW, but only because I had a spare license sitting around, anyway...

What's really cool about Win7 Pro (both 32 and 64 bit) is that you get "XP Mode" (in Windows own virtual machine) for free.

That way, I can run "olden stuff", such as E-MU's still fantastic Emulator X (2), in XP Mode (won't run properly on Win7)...

Best of both worlds, so to speak... ;)

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:38 am

that sounds interesting with running a virtual machine on it. isn't there a major w10 uodate out in soon? i guess i could bing it :)

Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

Return to “Computers - Electronics, Mobile Phones”