My Super Fast State of the Art PC on a Shoestring lol

Join in or start a discussion on anything about computers, electronics, mobile phones, smartphones, tablets, laptops or devices. Talk about hardware, apps, software and related subjects including “what is the best video card to use on your system/budget?” Share info about motherboards, networking, hardware and PC building. Share ideas on choosing the best components like CPU, ram, PSU, motherboard and software.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jc
Site Admin

My Super Fast State of the Art PC on a Shoestring lol

Postby jc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:10 pm

well I just started putting together my first PC build for about 10 years. I have been making do with my little hybrid laptop tablet since my a laptop broke down over a month ago. It has been OK but it's still not enough to use everyday especially as most of my things need to be on 64bit and at a reasonable speed.

The Asus is OK though for a mobile and I took it today with me to Sydney to buy most of my components. But I look forward to getting back to a proper fast computer. I had to put this together though with some placeholders :lol: it will be a work in progress as my budget allows. I have made use of an Ebay $100 rebate and some local prices on research. I came back today with the case, the Mobo, PSU and ram. The CPU will arrive Monday and I will place one of my laptop drives in it for now and install my W10 trial on it until November 1 when I will get my ebay $100 rebate and I will use it to buy a 250 gig SSD drive and use that for my main OS and drive.

I won't post all the details again, see them on my blog --- Budget Performance PC Build ....
look forward to any feedback ;)

lots of videos and photos to come this weekend..

Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: My Super Fast State of the Art PC on a Shoestring lol

Postby jmail » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Sounds like a challenge man. Waiting for more info on the build, and how it goes, jc...

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:48 am

thanks man, it's a Saturday morning here. I will clean up my apartment today as it's starting to look like a huge project workshop lol with bits and pieces and half projects laying around all over.

Then I will take some photos and videos etc of my gear...

more soon..

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:51 am

I put most of it together yesterday but I'm a little confused with some of the cables and I will try to download a manual or something from Gigabyte shortly....

One thing I have noticed compared to when I last put together a PC over 10 years ago is that there is little changes since then :shock:

It's funny as I thought back then PC's would die out in a couple of years and become much smaller but that has not happened at all and they are still roughly the same size, maybe some even bigger as I seen one in the shop that was pretty big. The mobo seems a bit smaller though and most of the case seems to be taken up with a lot of things I would never use like stacks of hard drive bays and a rack of those old PCI slots with the metal cut out if used. In fact If it was without all these things it would be 1/3rd of the size. I guess you can cut it down to the size you want or buy a case that does not include all these extra spaces that the average person would never use. I mean who needs 10+ hard drive bays these days? :lol:

I have noticed though that the quality and attention to details seems better. The quickstart booklets seem better, not just some low quality print in mainly other languages. The cases are painting inside instead of bare metal before. This one I have is also much lighter, just 5kgs and easy to carry around even with most of the hardware installed. The screws are painted and the mobo seems better labelled.

The on board sound might be OK too for basic listening, movies etc and might get me through until I get my interface.

High Quality Onboard Audio Design

Delivers high quality sound resolution and sound expansion to create the most realistic sound effects for professional gamers. Features High Quality Audio Capacitors and Audio Noise Guard with LED Trace Path Lighting

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Postby jmail » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:47 am

The onboard audio on some of the motherboards is almost stellar. Even the Realtec stuff can sound pretty darn good, especially when played through a good sound system. My 15 yo boy hooked his Dell laptop to the stereo in the living room played his game full volume. Killer. Much better than the old Sound Blaster cards, and definitely better than my old 1970's-80's stereo gear...

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:46 pm

yeah I could imagine.

anyway I have been busy putting it all together once everything arrived.. I will post some images and videos probably once its built so I can use the graphic programs better,,,

i still have to get my SSD drive on Nov 1 when my Ebay $100 rebate arrives in the few days after that. That will mean it will cost me just $18 instead of $118.

I installed everything and put everything into place, there were a few cracks and snaps, so I was worried I might have forced or broken something but I think they were just general assembly noises lol.

I fired it up and NOTHING :(

I then read the manual as i realized the Power SW cable was probably vital but I could not see where to put it. The manual pointed to it and I found the place and after rebooting again and noting from the CPU fan but this time there was a noise and lights. The fan seemed to want to turn but it didn't, I then realized the PC fan cable was blocking it from moving lol. I rebooted and hello, we have liftoff scotty. my first pc build for 10+ years went without a hiccup basically and hardly a look at manual :)

the cool thing was it booted my old laptop W7 drive up, after running me through the dialog boxes of putting my name etc in I got it up and running which was surprising. I found a few articles where a
another guy shows how to do this but also included some of that predone on the old PC before you do it.

I also tried putting W10 Enterprise trial on the USB stick with it unzipped and booting with that and another formatted laptop drive to install it on. But it was not found and got the OS not found type of error.

anyway it looks like I might be able to upgrade that old laptop OEM W7 OS onto my new SSD when it arrives.. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... boot-media

and http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... 10-after-a

more later, better sleep :)

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Postby jmail » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Yeah, Win10 is free (for a while) to all licensed Win8 & Win7 users.

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:46 am

well I installed W10 Enterprise trail for now on it and it has been running well. I'm downloading 10 Pro now from MS and I will use the ISO to do my upgrade next week when my hard drive arrives.

The PC looks pretty cool, will post some pics as soon as I can.

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:56 am

here are some pics. I should take some more of it now it's together :D
WP_20151028_12_29_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20151028_12_12_46_Pro.jpg

Computer-Build-004.jpg

Computer-Build-002.jpg

Computer-Build-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Postby jmail » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:48 pm

That is a nice case jc... making me drool for a new build now... ratz, more GAS.... LOL :lol:

I'll bet you like that i5 processor. The one in this laptop is stellar.

Return to “Computers - Electronics, Mobile Phones”