Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Meet and talk about anything here. Feel free to blog away your thoughts at 3.am in the morning....

Moderators: jc, Moderator

User avatar
jc
Site Admin
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:34 pm
Contact:

Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 am

So I have made a rough floor plan of my apartment and I will blog about it here as I go. Now that I'm living here for at least 10 months or so I might as well do the place up and even add some cool features. I might also eventually turn room 2 into a studio for music.

I want to add just some cool things over time like some small blue sensor lights in the kitchen so when I walk in they will turn on so I can see enough to get to the fridge without needing to turn the main light on and tripping up :)

That is just a small example of ideas I want to do. There might be some renovations etc as well like redoing the bathroom eventually.

I will probably make a lot of things detachable in case I do decide to rent it out and travel etc. The reason for that is that it's often better to not include things that can break in a place you rent out otherwise you will be responsible for maintaining and repairing it all.

I currently sleep and live mostly in room 1 which is a little bigger than room 2. Room 2 is sunnier but maybe a little too bright. It would make a great studio room as it has the best view in the building and it is also most furthest away from other units besides downstairs with the unit below. It would only be for simple music making and practice, not a proper recording studio and the sound will have to be kept at a reasonable level in case neighbours get annoyed. I will probably rent this room out soon for awhile but later look at turning it into my music room.

The lounge is largely unused at this stage since I'm currently here alone. I might turn that into an art/creative room more than a lounge but will have some bean chairs, a sofa etc as well. (edit: Looking at the floor plan again I see I missed a door into the kitchen by the front door and also another one and probably a few other things so I will post another one later..)

The wall between the kitchen and the lounge will be taken out mostly in the future to make this whole area open plan and to open it all up for a much more spacious and modern feel. The kitchen wall that is next to the front door will also probably be removed too as these walls just make the space smaller.

I need to buy a kitchen range hood to place over the stainless steel gas oven which is a pretty decent oven before I do open the kitchen and lounge up together. I will also put a nice natural piece of wood there for a large bar for breakfast and drinks in the evening..

Currently I have been painting room 2 as in the pics. Today I put more coats on, spilt paint on the carpet (a lot) but managed to get it out as it's water based by just mopping it up with lots of water and clothes and then vacuuming it all, phew.... :o

Floor Plan.gif


WP_20150808_13_38_27_Pro.jpg


WP_20150808_13_38_58_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

User avatar
jc
Site Admin
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:02 am

More ideas include.....

A workstation computer that will be a central hub for the apartment. It will be used from everything from video editing, audio production to controlling the curtains or turning on the air con etc.

One thing I want to have is a surround stereo system with speakers in every part of the apartment. So if there was a song playing in the studio room and I wanted to hear it in every room I could or if I just wanted to hear it in the kitchen I can just use the PC to do that, preferably with a remote control.

The computer will control lighting and security as well. This is just a few ideas to get started, there will be heaps more as I go...


Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

User avatar
jc
Site Admin
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jc » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 am

well if anyone is interested I went out looking for some sensor lights for the kitchen today. I found a 2 pack set that gives me 2 separate lights for about $18. They run on 3 AA batteries which is OK by me as I have quite a few rechargeable AA batteries and a decent charger. They should not use too much anyway and hopefully last a year or so on one charge. They came with 3 batteries anyway although they are not rechargeable by the looks.

I did consider powered ones but they were another $10+ and they were a little too big and just one light so would probably use a lot more power anyway. I was thinking with these ones I could disable one of the 2 bulbs to get more wattage so to speak :)

I got 2 lights so I will probably use the other one for the lounge or the bathroom would be great but I'm worried it would get water damage from steam.

I did consider a solar one too but I don't get direct sunlight here and I wasn't sure it was going to work what they had.

So I tried it out and it works great. The kitchen lights up enough for me to get to the fridge or whatever late at night without turning on the main light which is also on the other side of the kitchen to where I would normally enter later at night. I just mounted it above the power outlet for now with the sticky velco that came with it. Later I might put in somewhere else after I renovate the kitchen.

Talking about the kitchen. Here's a couple of photos with the new lights and you can also see a photo taken from the lounge looking at the wall and the door that I plan to take out in the future or just cut out the inner part to create an open plan lounge/kitchen with a bar replacing the wall. No I won't be installing a pool table and juke box, not here anyway :)

I also included a photo that I found that looks to be where I want to go with this. You can see how I could transform what I have into something like that....

The first pic is of my lights

WP_20150810_18_40_17_Pro.jpg


This is the kitchen with the lights on

WP_20150810_19_05_33_Pro.jpg


This is looking at the wall I will take out between lounge and kitchen

2012-06-24-581.jpg


and this is what I hope the kitchen will look like one day...

GoodGuys_Bartolo_Forestville_007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

User avatar
jc
Site Admin
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jc » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm loving these lights, I will probably take one of the bulbs out as I could save some battery power as one should be enough to light up the room. I keep going into the kitchen just to see them haha :)


Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

User avatar
SlayerBear17
Forum Master
Forum Master
Posts: 6705
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:33 pm
Skype Handle: slayerbear17
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/cbh17
Location: Back in YYC!!!
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby SlayerBear17 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 am

Wow you have a really nice place JC.

are you almost finished with the reno's?


check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ChaosBeing666/
Check out my studio build...here.. viewtopic.php?f=127&t=10617
Send me some KOKANEE......Yes you will....Send now !
http://www.chaosbeing.com
Let the Chaos begin...

User avatar
SlayerBear17
Forum Master
Forum Master
Posts: 6705
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:33 pm
Skype Handle: slayerbear17
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/cbh17
Location: Back in YYC!!!
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby SlayerBear17 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:52 am

jc wrote:well if anyone is interested I went out looking for some sensor lights for the kitchen today. I found a 2 pack set that gives me 2 separate lights for about $18. They run on 3 AA batteries which is OK by me as I have quite a few rechargeable AA batteries and a decent charger. They should not use too much anyway and hopefully last a year or so on one charge. They came with 3 batteries anyway although they are not rechargeable by the looks.

I did consider powered ones but they were another $10+ and they were a little too big and just one light so would probably use a lot more power anyway. I was thinking with these ones I could disable one of the 2 bulbs to get more wattage so to speak :)

I got 2 lights so I will probably use the other one for the lounge or the bathroom would be great but I'm worried it would get water damage from steam.

I did consider a solar one too but I don't get direct sunlight here and I wasn't sure it was going to work what they had.

So I tried it out and it works great. The kitchen lights up enough for me to get to the fridge or whatever late at night without turning on the main light which is also on the other side of the kitchen to where I would normally enter later at night. I just mounted it above the power outlet for now with the sticky velco that came with it. Later I might put in somewhere else after I renovate the kitchen.

Talking about the kitchen. Here's a couple of photos with the new lights and you can also see a photo taken from the lounge looking at the wall and the door that I plan to take out in the future or just cut out the inner part to create an open plan lounge/kitchen with a bar replacing the wall. No I won't be installing a pool table and juke box, not here anyway :)

I also included a photo that I found that looks to be where I want to go with this. You can see how I could transform what I have into something like that....

The first pic is of my lights

WP_20150810_18_40_17_Pro.jpg


This is the kitchen with the lights on

WP_20150810_19_05_33_Pro.jpg


This is looking at the wall I will take out between lounge and kitchen

2012-06-24-581.jpg


and this is what I hope the kitchen will look like one day...

GoodGuys_Bartolo_Forestville_007.jpg


I,m currently playing around with LEDS and lighting in the drum room. Its amazing how much these things have come down in price. So far the drummer likes its.....so I,m hoping to post some pics soon.


check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ChaosBeing666/
Check out my studio build...here.. viewtopic.php?f=127&t=10617
Send me some KOKANEE......Yes you will....Send now !
http://www.chaosbeing.com
Let the Chaos begin...

User avatar
jc
Site Admin
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:58 pm

SlayerBear17 wrote:Wow you have a really nice place JC.

are you almost finished with the reno's?


It is a pretty nice apartment but I hope you are not looking at that last pic I posted as that is not my place, that is what I would like it to look like when I do finish renovating it :lol: :D all the other pics though are of it and as you can see it just needs some sprucing up and working on and I think I can eventually get it looking like that photo ;)

No I have a lot to do yet but the good thing is I did all the hard work in 2012 when I spent 2 months just sanding down all the very old paint that was in very bad condition and taking it back to then prime and paint. I just have to sand down the lounge in some parts as some of the paint I put on a few years ago started to flake, I think it was because the tenants did not ventilate the place properly and when I painted it was in the middle of winter and I left it to go overseas but no one lived in it for another month so it remained cold and empty all that time with new paint and I think that is why it never set properly. Anyway it won't be too hard to fix it and I have already nearly complete room 2 and I have put that on hold for a few weeks but hope to finish it off this weekend. My room I sleep in is fine which is good but I will also repaint the kitchen as I ran out of time when I painted that and it's missing a coat or 2. After painting then it will just be a matter of working to a plan to get it looking good.
I,m currently playing around with LEDS and lighting in the drum room. Its amazing how much these things have come down in price. So far the drummer likes its.....so I,m hoping to post some pics soon.


Led lights are great yeah. I'm also going to put them around the home in other places. I'm very interested in solar to power things but I'm not sure I can get much power with no direct sunlight in my place but maybe in the summer there might be some with the sun changing it's height. I will look forward to see what ideas you have for lighting in the future.

I have to install AutoCAD and come up with a proper plan or get some sort of plan software...


Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

User avatar
jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe
Posts: 10713
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Who?

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jmail » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I've gotta go, but I gotta come back and "study" your thread jc. Looks good.



User avatar
SlayerBear17
Forum Master
Forum Master
Posts: 6705
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:33 pm
Skype Handle: slayerbear17
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/cbh17
Location: Back in YYC!!!
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby SlayerBear17 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 am

jc wrote:
SlayerBear17 wrote:Wow you have a really nice place JC.

are you almost finished with the reno's?


It is a pretty nice apartment but I hope you are not looking at that last pic I posted as that is not my place,


Nope....but soon your apartment will be styling! 8) 8)


check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ChaosBeing666/
Check out my studio build...here.. viewtopic.php?f=127&t=10617
Send me some KOKANEE......Yes you will....Send now !
http://www.chaosbeing.com
Let the Chaos begin...

User avatar
jc
Site Admin
Posts: 4919
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Apartment Future Plan with Studio

Postby jc » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:59 am

the problem I have is deciding what way to go at the moment. On one hand I would like to keep renovating it and aim to get it looking sleek like that photo. On the other hand I would prefer it to just be an art and creative space, put a little old furniture in it, hang up lots of posters and art. put lots of cool things around and just make it my creative space and enjoy it. I also need to get a flatmate in soon so I need to keep it looking civil for that. Hopefully they will turn out to be relaxed and easy going. I will probably just go with renovating it a bit and do bit by bit slowly over time and meanwhile just covering up and looking after renovated parts but still making it a creative space.


Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.


Return to “The Veranda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests