Will Led Zeppelin go to Jail?

Read about the lastest news in the mulitmedia world.

Moderators: jc, Moderator

jc
Site Admin

Will Led Zeppelin go to Jail?

Postby jc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Led Zeppelin’s Plant, Page to face jury trial in ‘Stairway to Heaven’ copyright lawsuit

Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” has faced a lot of accusations in the 45 years since it was released. It’s overplayed, some say, particularly at high volumes by dudes trying to impress other dudes at guitar shops. It’s overlong, say others. And, for years, people have said “Stairway” sounds a lot like “Taurus” — a song by a much less famous band called Spirit who performed it allegedly while sharing bills with Zeppelin in the late 1960s.

ah song writing copyright, we studied that a bit at Music school last year, it certainly is a powerful issue and the writer has a lot of the say in the end.

Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Re: Will Led Zeppelin go to Jail?

Postby jmail » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

I dunno though... That discussion and threat have been an ongoing issue since 1978-9 or so, when Stairway first got popular... I was a Spirit fan too, especially "Mister Skin", but "Stairway..." and "Taurus" while similar, are not quite the same. Taurus is like an intro to another song, while Stairway is a whole song. Zep should have probably found out who actually did the writing of that Taurus guitar part (Randy California, Jay Ferguson??), and given them at least a mention and a small percentage cut. It could be also, that Page was noodling with something, and showed California what he had, mentioning that he was stuck, and didn't know what to do after the 4th chord... The first 4 chords used are identical, with the dropping bass note going down a half step at a time. Folks "cop" things from everyone when writing music, and do things to cover-up the similarities. They might end up having to pay a "fine" or "damages", maybe getting a royalty cut, similar to the folks who have "sampled" directly from songs... But then again, this ain't the first time the Zep has been accused of this. The thing is, even John Fogerty was sued over The Old Man Down The Road, when someone accused him of stealing from Run Through The Jungle, which was written by John Fogerty, of all people. He actually brought a guitar into the court room, and showed the jury the differences between the songs. He made the statement "Of course I copied from myself!"

SlayerBear17
Forum Master
Forum Master
Skype Handle: slayerbear17
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/cbh17

Postby SlayerBear17 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Men at work with....down under....they ended up paying out

check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ChaosBeing666/
Check out my studio build...here.. viewtopic.php?f=127&t=10617
Send me some KOKANEE......Yes you will....Send now !
http://www.chaosbeing.com
Let the Chaos begin...

jmail
Master of the Universe
Master of the Universe

Postby jmail » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:25 pm

That's one I was trying to remember, but couldn't. I don't really think they should have lost, but it's up to the jury to decide... That's where paying for a good lawyer comes in handy, if you can afford it...

jc
Site Admin

Postby jc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:42 pm

I'm going to join Apra before I upload any of my songs. :lol: seriously after what I learned on the subject it will solve a lot of issues if one f my songs ever got stolen. I would be thankful to the thief though for the interest :lol: :D

Follow Production Forums on Twitter
Like our Facebook page & follow the conversations.

LindsiDiuby
Forum Member
Skype Handle: LindsiDiubyGQ

Will Led Zeppelin go to Jail

Postby LindsiDiuby » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:25 pm

My excitement level is very low. I cant think of much more exciting than seeing Led Zeppelin in person having been born in the 80s and missing them the first time. I just doubt that a reunion is where this will lead.

Return to “Mulitmedia News”